Thursday, January 16, 2014

Your Comments!


I want to thank all of Skookum's visitors for their wonderful comments that they have left since we launched this project in December. I am thrilled to know that this little library is accepted in our community. More importantly though, I hope these comments inspire you to build a little library too!


For me, this library has come to symbolically represent the meaning education has had in my life and the responsibility I have to pay it forward. Students and their parents are very focused on the returns of higher education. What type of job will I get when I finish? How much money will I make? What will this degree buy me?

When I work with students, I like to tell them the story of my wake-up call. One afternoon at work, I glanced up at the parchment papers nicely framed and hanging on the wall. Reading the fine, calligraphy print, my bachelor's degree stated that it was "bestowed with all rights and privileges." My eyes then focused on wording of my master's degree. I noticed a profound difference. This degree was given "with all its privileges and obligations." Obligations! That simple change in wording that I noticed a decade later meant the world to me. It woke me up to the fact that I have a responsibility, right now, to pay this forward and give back to the community...one book at a time!

Thank you again for your support, donations, and kind words.

Much love,

Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment